Monday, August 25, 2014

Fig, Brie, and Kale Pizza



I've always wanted to experiment with figs, but never seemed to remember to buy them or find them in the store.  This past weekend I hit the fig jackpot at my local grocery store and decided to make my favorite food with them, pizza.



I found a lot of recipes online for fig, goat cheese, prosciutto, and arugula pizza, but since I don't eat meat and I really don't like arugula, I decided to alter this concept and make my own version.  I love all kinds of cheese, but I was in the mood for a good, buttery brie cheese. I am also part of the kale craze and can't get enough. And sticking with simplicity, I added just a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and voila (well almost, I was one minute away from burning the whole pizza and starting over).  



The end result of this pizza was savory, salty, crunchy, with a hint of sweet. I don't want to give myself a pat on the back, but I truly enjoyed this new pizza with figs. I made this pizza for my husband and gram and she kept insisting she really didn't like figs. Well let's just say she ate two pieces of pizza with a smile on her face.  



So for anyone looking to experiment with figs, give figs another chance, or just love pizza as much as I do, give this recipe a try. It takes about 10 minutes to prepare, about 10 minutes to cook, and probably one minute to eat. Pair this with a buttery chardonnay of your choice and enjoy! 




Fig Pizza
~Serves 2-3
~Prep time: 10 minutes
~Cook time: 10-14 minutes


  • 4 figs
  • 1 packaged of Brie cheese
  • 1/2 cup of kale
  • 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (Colavita is the best!)
  • 1 whole wheat pizza crust (I took a short-cut and bought the Boboli whole wheat thin crust)







~Preheat oven to 450 degrees (425 if you don't want your pizza as crispy as mine)
~Scoop pieces of brie cheese and flatten with hands to place on crust
~Cut fig stems off and then cut thin slices and place on crust 
~Break off small pieces of kale and add to crust
~Drizzle olive oil on top of pizza
~Bake for at least 10 minutes on oven rack. I cooked mine for 14 minutes and it made it just crispy enough, right before it probably would have burnt 
~Allow to cool for a few minutes, slice into pieces, and bon appetit!






Xo,
Laura





No comments:

Post a Comment