Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Mother's Day Brunch




I want all of us to take a few minutes, close our eyes, breathe, and think about our moms. Try to make a visual timeline of activities you've done together, places you've traveled, things she has taught you, feelings that are evoked, memories made, joys and sorrows shared, and any images that resonate within you. Everyone has a different story to tell when it comes to his or her mom which is what makes today such a unique day. This day may mean so much to some or it may just be another May day.
                                                

I know for me this mother's day is another Sunday and I will be working eight hours of it, but it is also a day I do like to stop and give my awesome mom some extra love and attention. I could go on for hours and pages writing about my own mother, but since this is only my third post I don't want everyone to get sick of me just yet. But I will say when I took the time to close my eyes and think of my mom, the first thing that happened to me was an overwhelming feeling of joy. My mom and I have always been close, being I'm the only daughter, getting to share shopping, movies, hair trials and tribulations, emotional issues and body issues, and all things girly. But beyond your typical mother-daughter adventures, my mom and I have created a bond that I could never live without. She truly knows me better than I know myself, she knows how to cheer me up even when she is feeling down herself, and she has taught me the most valuable wisdom I carry with me every day:


Always have the courage to be true to yourself


She has given me the courage, strength, and ability to be my true self and to never feel sorry or afraid to be that way. I am thankful for a mom like her and wanted to create a special and simple brunch just for my mom and one that you could make for all of your moms too.






Blueberry and Apple Crumble:
-8 small gala apples or 4 large, peeled and cut 
-1 cup of blueberries
-1 lemon, juiced
-3 1/2 tbsp. of flour (I used almond meal/flour instead)
-1/2 cup of sugar (I love sugar in the raw)
-1 tbsp. of cinnamon for apples, 1/2 tbsp. for crumble
-1/2 tbsp. of butter to coat baking dish, 5 tbsp. of butter at room temperature for crumble
-1/2 cup oats
-1 cup pecans (or any nut you have in your cupboard)
-1/4 cup brown sugar
-pinch or two of salt


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees 
  • Use the 1/2 tbsp. of butter to line a 3 quart baking dish
  • In a large bowl, add apples with lemon juice, then mix in flour, sugar, and cinnamon
  • Gently mix in the blueberries with the apple mixture and add to the baking dish
  • In a small bowl, combine the oats, pecans, brown sugar, salt, and butter and mix together
  • Add this oat mixture to the top of the apples in the baking dish
  • Bake for 35-35 minutes or until the top of the crumble starts to brown
  • Serve warm









Veggie frittata:
-coconut oil or butter for greasing a 12 cup muffin pan
-8 eggs
-1 1/2 cups of fresh veggies (I used mixed peppers)
-6 strips of veggie bacon (Morning Star makes an awesome meatless substitute)
-I rarely cook with onions, but if you like onions (most do, I know) add 3 scallions, green parts only, sliced
-fresh ground black pepper and sea salt to taste



  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease the muffin pan
  • Whisk eggs in a large bowl 
  • Add veggies and veggie bacon to the eggs and mix (add scallions now if included)
  • Stir in the salt and pepper and soon the mixture in the muffin cups-leave some room at the tops of the cups
  • Bake for 10-12 minutes until eggs are fluffy
  • Serve warm


Brew some french press coffee, pour mom a cup and enjoy the meal. Let me know what everyone will be doing this Sunday.

Xo,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment