Monday, June 23, 2014

Summer Reading List



I always loved getting my summer reading list at the end of school every year-Nerd Alert, I know.  But there was something about buying new books, taking the time to savor each one, and getting hooked on someone else's world I always looked forward to each summer.  I can spend hours in one place reading when I take the right book off the shelf, and I seem to want to be lost in the story of the book sometimes more than my own real life (isn't that the point of most books?).  And sometimes we all need that.  An escape from our present life and a chance to unwind and allow our minds to explore another experience and learn from an author's beautifully woven web of words.  I am forever the biggest fan of fiction novels, usually ones that either challenge my mind or put me at ease.  Either way, it is the first official week of summer, and I wanted to share my favorite books I've read so far leading up to summer.  This post is probably more geared towards the female audience, but both Prodigal Summer and Freefall to Fly are two amazing books to be shared by both men and women.  So find your favorite sunny or shady spot, pour yourself a glass of iced tea or iced wine depending on the time of day, and allow yourselves to open a new book and discover a new story.  All of these books can be found at BarnesandNoble.com 



The One and Only by the talented author Emily Giffin seems to be a top summer read on all book lists this year and with good reason.  It's written so well and it's wit and humor keep you entertained all day into the night.  



Freefall to Fly by Rebekah Lyons is a book that will guides you through a woman's journey of finding her path and encouraging women to to believe in their purposes, no matter what they may be.  A quick read that will leave you earmarking more than just a few pages.  



I read Catching Air by Sarah Pekkanen in less than 48 hours.  Partly because it involves two couples owning a bed and breakfast (which I think I subconsciously want to do in life) and partly because it is such a good story with just the right amount of suspense and excitement.  The visuals created by her writing style allow you to truly feel a part of the story and give you a break from the rest of the world.  


Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver is by far one of my favorite books.  I read this book for the first time when I was in high school and forever realized my life will eventually end up on a farm in the country.  If you love nature, country life, love stories, and the realization that this world is much smaller and more connected than we all usually see, than you will fall in love with this book too.  Barbara Kingsolver is my favorite author who has the ability to impact you with such power with her words on pretty much every single page.  This book takes three different people's stories from one county and stitches them together to make this book a very fast page turner and possibly fall in love with an inanimate object such as this book.

Enjoy!

Xo,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment