Monday, September 8, 2014

Apple Season




I am so excited to announce this week is Apple Week! (yes this is my own made up celebratory week, put it on your calendar!)  I usually visit the farmer's market or my local apple orchard at least twice a week in the fall to savor as many delicious apples as I possibly can in a day.  I love getting outdoors, smelling the crisp scent from the apples, and creating new dishes I can enjoy all fall season.

This apple galette is from one of my favorite cooking inspirations, Erin Gleeson from the Forest Feast. I've made this recipe before and every time I ask myself why I don't make it more often.  It's so easy to make, let's you be a little creative with your apple placement, and it tastes like it took all day to make-my kind of dish. 

So have fun with choosing your favorite apples; I used this new flavor Brace's Orchard introduced me to, Zestar, which for me was the perfect combination of my two favorite apples, honey crisp and macintosh.  Pick a good creamy, buttery cheese to create that savory side of the dish and don't feel badly you bought pre-made pie crust (unless you want to get fancy and make you're own crust, you'll have to find your own recipe for that :D ).  And don't worry, even though this week is apple week, I have a feeling I will be continuing the celebration for many more weeks to come. 

Xo,
Laura 









Apple and Honey Galette
~serves 4
~prep time: 10 minutes; cook time: 20-25 minutes


  • 1 14 oz. store-bought pie dough 
  • 1/2 cup of Brie cheese-I used the whole container, probably more like a cup for me :)
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp of cinnamon-1/2 for the cheese, 1/2 to top the apples
  • 1 Tbsp of honey
  • 2 thinly sliced apples
~Lay out the pie crust on a baking sheet or a shallow pie dish
~Top crust with brie, brown sugar, and cinnamon
~Cover the cheese layer with 2 thinly sliced apples
~Drizzle the apples with honey and cinnamon
~Pinch the edges to form a crust
~Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes, until golden
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment